If you are in Logan in the winter, it may be hard to convince yourself to go outside. Unless you are ready to go tubing down Old Main Hill, there's not a lot to do in the winter. But get bundled up, because you don't want to miss the sleigh ride at Hardware Ranch. Located about 20 miles up Blacksmith Fork Canyon, Hardware Ranch is a state Wildlife Management Area, and there is a large herd of elk that live in the area. The sleigh ride takes you right up among this herd of elk. As the elk are used to the sleigh coming and going, you'll be able to get up close in a way that you'd never be able to in the wild.
Be sure to bring plenty of warm clothing and don't forget your camera. You'll make a lot of memories in a short time.
Tip: Sleigh rides usually start the middle of December until March on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays
15 miles east of Hyrum, Utah, in Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
- Travel south on State Road 165 to Hyrum, then east on Highway 101 to the ranch.
- Follow signs along the way.
From I-15 south:
- Travel north on I-15 to the Brigham City/Logan exit. This exits puts you on highway 89/91.
- Follow highway 89/91 about 17 miles over Sardine Canyon into Cache Valley.
- After you go through Sardine Canyon, turn right (east) at the Wellsville (Burger King) light. This puts you on State Road 101, you should see white state road 101 signs.
- Follow the white State Road 101 signs and brown Hardware Ranch signs through the city of Hyrum and up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Located at the end of the road, about 18 miles up the Canyon and 22 miles from the light in Wellsville.
Detailed directions through Hyrum City starting at the Wellsville light:
- Turn right at Wellsville/Burger King light (this is the junction to 101).
- Go east until you reach 400 W and then turn right.
- Follow this road heading south until you reach a 4-way stop, turn left onto Main Street.
- Travel east on Main Street until you reach the light on 800 E.
- Go through the light up Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
- You will travel up the canyon about 18 miles or 30–45 minutes depending on road conditions. Hardware is at the end of the paved state road.