There's plenty to do on the Columbia River, after all it's the heart of the city. Take it easy and stroll along numerous pathways taking in the sounds of the rushing river and possibly some wildlife. The Yakima River Delta Trail is an easy hike off the Highway 240 Steptoe exit. If you want to exert a little more energy, you could put a kayak in the water. There are many spots to rent kayaks along the river. A nice spot is the Clover Island area. There's a newer lighthouse, the Clover Island Lighthouse & Plaza at 85 Clover Island Drive and a small marina. You can do some fishing, sailing and water sports as well. Gain access to the Sacagawea Heritage Trail here too, which is a 23 mile paved trail along the Columbia River shoreline. There are a few tour operators if you'd rather take a guided tour. There's a jetboat ride to the Hanford Reach area ($90) and guided kayak adventures ($50+). If you enjoy being outside, you won't be disappointed.
Less than a 15 min. drive from the Temple:
- Head east on Gage Blvd toward Penny Royal Ave
- Turn left onto N Steptoe St
- At the traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto Columbia Park Trail
- Slight right to merge onto WA-240 E toward Kennewick
- Merge onto WA-240 E
- Take exit 395 S toward Pendleton
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Columbia Dr
- At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto W Columbia Dr
- Turn left onto N Clover Island Dr. River is on the left.